Sunday, April 14, 2013

Under His Wings

Every once in a while, something happens that reminds vividly how much I must depend on God's upholding power to make it from day to day--especially while flying different national airlines.

This morning, I borded my flight in Singpore and picked up the newspaper only to be greeted with this picture of a Lion Air plane that had missed it's landing and crashed into the shallow waters off the Bali International Airport.

What made the story doubly impactful for me is that I was flying the exact same kind of aircraft on Lion Air the very day this incident happened. Departing my daughter's home in Papua, we made several stops on the way to Jakarta, one being very close to where this incident happened. The story is even more tragic when you read that the plane was a brand new 737-800 New Generation delievered to Indonesia just last month--again, just like the one I was on that day.

The good part of the story, however, is that because of crashing in such a shallow area, all of the passengers were evacuated safely, although a few had some minor injuries.

Last month, in Congo, Al Hawthorne and I were forced to fly on the local CAA airline which also had sustained a cargo plane crash the week before.

All these experineces are valuable simply for the one reason of never taking for granted our need to trust in God's sustaining grace every step of the way--especially in international travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment